The 39th Annual Sessions of the Institute of Biology (IOB), Sri Lanka was held on 27th September 2019, at the National Institute of Business Management (NIBM), Vidya Mawatha, Colombo 07. Total number of participants was 156.
Altogether 56 abstracts were presented in four parallel sessions at the technical sessions. The below named members chaired the sessions. Three panels consisting of two members evaluated the presentations and the best presenter for each session was selected. The certificates for the best presenters were awarded to the winners at the end of each session on the same day.
|Prof. WipulaYapa, Department of Zoology and Environment Sciences, University of Colombo
|Dr. Prasad Senadheera, Senior Lecturer, Department of Botany, Faculty of Natural Science, The Open University of Sri Lanka
Molecules and microbes
|Dr. Jagath Weerasena, Senior Lecturer, Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of Colombo
|Dr. Erandathie Lokupitiya, Senior Lecturer, Department of Zoology and Environment Science, Faculty of Science, University of Colombo
Closing and Awarding Ceremony 2019
- The closing and the awarding ceremony commenced at 4.30 m.at the auditorium of the NIBM with the lighting of the Oil Lamp. Dr. K.G.S.U. Ariyawansha, Joint Secretary/IOBSL, welcomed the gathering.
- The Presidential Address by Dr. A.J. Mohotti was themed ‘Ecophysiological Applications in Agricultural Landscapes’
- The Keynote Address was delivered by Mr. Naalin Perera, programme officer at IUCN, and was titled “IUCN ecosystem and landscape strategies”.
- Y.D.A. Senanayaka was felicitated in absentia in recognition for his significant contributions in pioneering postgraduate education of agriculture in Sri Lanka, practical field training of field crops and plantation crops in undergraduate education, and outreach of postgraduate findings of agriculture and related disciplines by means of a Scientific Congress. The citation was presented by Dr. K.M. Mohotti. The felicitation plaque was presented to Prof. Y.D.A. Senanayaka by the president Dr. A.J. Mohotti on 19th September 2019 at his residence at Peradeniya.
- Shireen Samarasuriya was also felicitated in recognition of her committed involvement in outreach activities of biological applications to communities and policy makers as a non-biologist, and facilitating funding and technical assistance on biodiversity and environmental conservation for rural communities. The citation for Mrs. Shireen Samarasuriya was read by Prof. N. Pallewatta and Dr. A.J. Mohotti presented the felicitation plaque to Mrs. Samarasuriya.
- Highlights of the International Biology Olympiad 2019 held in Hungary were presented to the gathering. Nethmini Nirasha Ratnayake of St. Joseph’s Convent, Kegalle the winner of a bronze medal at the International Biology Olympiad 2019 was also present at the ceremony and her achievement was appreciated.
- Inter-University Biology Quiz Competition was conducted by the IOBSL for the second time in 2019. The medals for the final winners were awarded by Dr. A.J. Mohotti. Champion (Gold medal winner) was P.G.S. Lakmini from University of Colombo, while Silver and Bronze medal winners were Mr. W.A.D. Malith Widuranga and Ms. J.M. Vishadinie Lakshika respectively, also of University of Colombo.
- P.B. Ratnaweera, the Joint Secretary/IOBSL delivered the vote of thanks concluding the ceremony.