How to Join the Institute
The advantages of becoming a member are mutual. The Institute will turn to you for your contribution towards its programmes, and you are likely to benefit from the programmes and in the advancement of your career. The programmes include an annual meeting at which members can present communications, public lectures on current issues in Biology, workshops in new technologies, publication of educational material and school seminars and exhibitions.
Categories of Membership
There are four major categories of membership.
Fellows are entitled to use the designatory letters F.I.Biol (Sri Lanka) while the Members are eligible to use M.I.Biol (Sri Lanka), Associate members, A.I. Biol (Sri Lanka) and Licentiates L.I.Biol (Sri Lanka). Eligibility for each category depends upon a combination of professional experience and academic qualifications.
Eligibility depends on a combination of professional experience and academic qualifications. Read IOB membership categories, criteria and guidelines.
Current rates (as of 01 January 2020) for the membership fees are as follows;
(As approved by the membership at the 39th AGM of the IOB on 26th September 2019)
- Members Elected to Honorary Fellow and Fellow categories need not pay a subscription fee
- Member (Sri Lankan) : Rs. 10,000.00 (One time payment)
- Member (Non-Sri Lankan) : USD 100.00 (One time payment)
- Chartered Member: Rs. 20,000.00 (One time payment)
- Licentiate: Rs. 25,000.00 (One time payment)
- Associate Member: Rs. 1000.00 (One time payment)
- Affiliate Member: Rs. 1000.00 (One time payment)
- Student Member (valid until active undergraduate studentship is maintained): Rs. 500.00 (One time payment)
- Corporation Member: Rs. 25,000.00 (One time payment) or Rs. 10,000.00 (Annual subscription)
Fellows and members can also apply for Chartered Biologist or C.Biol, a distinction immediately comparable with the corresponding designations of other respected professionals. Chartered Biologists are required to follow code of ethics adopted by the Institute.